1. Name one offensive player and one defensive player you are most excited to see in the new systems and why.
Kyle Rudolph - Wildcat possibility is a savage wrinkle.
Darius Fleming - The mike makes the calls, but the cat makes the big plays.
Theo Riddick - Playing slot WR in the spread will give him opportunities to unleash his talent and rack up YACS.
Ethan Johnson - Returning to his rightful position as a DE will set him up for a breakout year.
2. What’s one reason you think Brian Kelly is the right coach this time. What’s one reason you think he might not be?
- He went 34-6 at Cincinnati.
- I prefer a run-first power offense, although Kelly’s preference for the pass is generally overstated because of last year’s departure from his usual balance.
- BK understands the true significance of his job as the head football coach at Notre Dame.
- Trick question, he is the right coach.
3. A lot of people are labeling Purdue, Boston College, and Michigan State as toss up games. Considering Notre Dame beat all three of these teams during the disappointing 2009 season, do you consider these games toss-ups or games you expect Notre Dame to win?
tendomer: Notre Dame is heavily favored against and will defeat Purdue. BC and MSU are toss-ups largely because they’re on the road and likely both at night, and I expect ND to split this pair.
TheNDleprechaun: Unfortunately for Purdue, they drew the unlucky slot as the first opponent BK and the new Fighting Irish will face. Also, I don't care what the circumstances are, every Domer should always expect to beat Backup College. As for little sparty... this picture should sum it up:
4. What’s one reason you think Notre Dame could shock the world and pull of another 1964-type season? What’s one reason you’re concerned we might see more of a 1997-type season?
tendomer: The parallels to the book Resurrection are startling, and Kelly's recent admission that he could not imagine ND being his first head coaching job evokes Parseghian's quote about needing every one of his previous years as a head coach. BK's 19 seasons means there's no chance of a '97 repeat.
TheNDleprechaun: BK inherited extremely talented players, and the changes he has already made since coming here will produce a newly energized team focused on doing everything possible to win.
5. Which freshmen do you see contributing the most on the field this year (outside of TJ Jones – that’s too easy)?
tendomer: Austin Collinsworth: Occasional minutes at WR will supplement his time starting on all four special teams units with fellow freshman Danny Spond, whose spot behind Manti Te’o means he won’t play much outside special teams
TheNDleprechaun: Do redshirt freshmen count? Cierre Wood will be the next big time Irish RB to become a household name. Start preordering your #20 jerseys now.
6. Other than Dayne Crist (too easy again) who is the one player Notre Dame can least afford to lose to injury for any significant period of time?
tendomer: Ethan Johnson: The drop off from starters to reserves is steep at both ends in the three-man front.
TheNDleprechaun: Manti Te'o...then again... you can't hurt steel...
7. 2010 Season Predictions
a. Notre Dame record
b. Bowl game for Notre Dame with opponent
tendomer: Orange v. VT
TheNDleprechaun: National Chamionship v. Boise St.
c. Final ranking
d. Opponent with the highest final ranking
tendomer: Boston College
e. Notre Dame’s offensive & defensive MVP
tendomer: Dayne Crist, Manti Te’o
TheNDleprechaun: Michael Floyd, Manti Te’o
f. Best opponent offensive & defensive player
tendomer: Ronald Johnson, USC; Greg Romeus, Pitt
TheNDleprechaun: Andrew Luck, Stanford; Greg Romeus, Pitt
g. Best opposing coach
tendomer: Kyle Whittingham
TheNDleprechaun: Lane Kiffin...wait, best for our program or for theirs?
h. Game you are most excited to watch
TheNDleprechaun: Witnessing the Fall of Troy when the Irish storm the Coliseum
i. Game you wouldn't mind watching on DVR
tendomer: Re-watching the game is the only acceptable answer
TheNDleprechaun: What is Tulsa?
j. National Champion
TheNDleprechaun: Notre Dame
k. Heisman Winner
tendomer: Mark Ingram
TheNDleprechaun: Michael Floyd
l. Purdue game prediction
tendomer: Notre Dame 45, Purdue 21
TheNDleprechaun: ND 41 - PU 17 (haha their initials are PU)