Oct 5, 2010
IBG: Passion Pitt
Thanks to Irish Round Table for writing the questions for this week's IBG:
1. Grade Brian Kelly's performance to date. We're not interested in how you think he will perform going forward. How has he done through the first five games? Grade scale is A+ to F-.
tendomer: C+. Kelly's focus on building the program from the ground up includes the strongest features of his first ten months: loading up on rangy defenders in his first recruiting class, the training table, Longo Beach, Camp Kelly, requirement that players neither remove their helmets nor put hands on knees during practice. The losses certainly bring down the grade a lot, especially due to our inability to prepare a backup quarterback, failure to play the most secure of ND's three field goal defense schemes instead of the middle option against MSU, and inability to run the ball at will. The largest negative factor is Kelly's refusal to take the points in the second quarter against Michigan.
2. Much has been made of Brian Kelly's sideline rants. Some fans like the excitement and energy others are worried that they are excessive and will wear thin on the players. Where do you stand?
tendomer: I like the intensity because I'm confident that Kelly knows how to push the players. I want BK to coach the way he's learned how to coach over the past two decades, regardless of now being on a bigger stage.
3. What is the best storyline for Notre Dame football this year? The best storyline in college football?
tendomer: ND's best storyline is William & Mary transfer David Ruffer, a walk-on kicker who hasn't missed a field goal in his ND career since coming up from Siegfried's Interhall team.
The best story is college football is BC linebacker Mark Herzlich's return to the field after beating Ewing's sarcoma.
4. We are going to test your prognostication skills with a little IBG prediction contest. Predict the following for this week's Pitt game:
Kyle Rudolph receptions: 7 (1 TD)
Points scored by Notre Dame's defense: 0
Carries by Robert Hughes: 3
Points Notre Dame wins by: 12
Tackles Manti T'eo registers: 14.5
Pass attempts by Tommy Rees: 0
Taylor Swift in Attendance(for 2 points at 5:1 odds; a correct "Yes" equals 10 points a correct "No" equals two): Yes, and she's definitely welcome in section 31.
Winner will receive a prominent post on the Irish Round Table extolling their website and awesomeness.
5. What would you like to see in place of the yellow mums on the Notre Dame sidelines?
TheNDleprechaun: Shamrocks, of course.